fun fact: when I first published Girly volume 1 in 2006. I wrote to Gary at Fleen asking if they could give it a little blurb. He gave the job to a writer who called Girly a rape comic and that I was an awful person. That’s really what happened. It’s actually something I look back on and laugh now, but holy shit did it make me bitter about webcomics for the longest time.
Ehhh when I put it that way, it makes it sound like it was Gary’s fault I’ve been such an asshole while doing Girly. I was really just a dick in general.
Anyway, having said all that, the early Chuy story DID have a creepy, rapey overtone to it, and it really bugs me now, and I kind of want to go back and rewrite it all?
- gastrophobia likes this
- spacekittenpatrol said: I think it’s good you’re re-examining this. So often I see artists with the I CAN DO WHATEVAH I WANT attitude forever, and of course there are those who cry “KINK SHAMING KINK SHAMING”.
- animusic17 likes this
- wiserd likes this
- steindiemaschine reblogged this from superhappy and added:
- tarmaie said: Chuy was quite rapey at the start but his character did learn and grow.
- sciencemyfiction said: Chuy’s innocence aside, it might be good if you feel like doing it.
- diananock said: Naahhhh, I never felt like the Chuy stuff was rapey. That’s a pretty big stretch, even if the writing was a little ambiguous. Of course, this is Tumblr, where everyone is an oppressive asshole unless they’re one of the oppressed.
- deuscain likes this
- tableinthecorner said: You can’t go back on history man.
- kaezrer likes this
- denjiro7 likes this
- amanofletters said: A “rape comic”? How is two women that come to love each other rape? Is it because Winter was more assertive than Otra in the first chapter? Self-confidence: it’s apparently just like rape!
- icantbelieveitsnotbutler said: Since the premise was that women are compelled to jump Chuy’s bones due to his ultra sexy aura, and he was always happy to oblige, it wasn’t necessarily rape, even though it was effectively harmful behavior. I think he was just a confused man.
- blackhatbluescarf said: But everyone falls to his sexitude! They all wanted it! They needed it! It even segued into Winter becoming an Author On Board and telling us what Sexuality should be against what it is perceived as. It’s not as bad as you think it is.
- thesem likes this
- infamousnfamous said: The way I understood it, chuy was an idiot who abused his power. But I wouldn’t call it a rape story nor would I say you advocate rape. If that was the case then every work of art with rape in it is made by someone who is pro-rape? Of course not.
- krudman said: I remember that. And then Scott Kurtz came in and tried to defend your comic and just got it all wrong.
- kenshiro28 likes this
- biyomon likes this
- kyubeytier likes this
- superhappy posted this